5 amazing places to visit in Bali

During spring 2014, two of my close friends and I parted ways as they went on a south-east Asian backpack trip for several months. When they left, we promised to see each other on my next vacation. Since that vacation was in may, I joined them as they were touring Indonesia. I was thrilled! I had seen all the beautiful photography of Bali on the web and I couldn't wait to see it with my own eyes. Right before I left, I broke the bank, bought a brand new camera and shoved it in my backpack. It was the longest flight of my life, but was definitely worth it. During my 3 weeks' vacation, we toured many places. Some had been on my bucket list for a long time, others I discovered should clearly be on yours. Without any further due, here are five amazing places you should visit in Bali.

1.Ubud
This beautiful village is so much more than the classic rice paddies pictures. It is the cultural and religious center of Bali. If you are interested in the Balinese history and the insulars' various religions, make sure you pay a visit to Ubud. You will find heartwarming habitants and a delicious gastronomic heritage.
2.Uluwatu temple
If you are afraid of monkeys, beware! Still, Uluwatu is a breathtaking place to go. The temple, located right at the edge of a cliff, offers a view over the Indian Ocean. Experienced surfers also come to this place to catch the insane Balinese waves.
3.Batur Volcano
If you are looking for the hike of your life, mount Batur should be your pick. Guides often offer a full day hike, including an egg breakfast baked on volcanic rocks, while catching the sunrise. While being now dormant, the volcano once had an eruption which destroyed most of the surrounding villages. From the top, you can see the "lucky temple", sole survivor of this incident, and Lombok island, floating in the Indian Ocean.
4.Pendawa Beach
With its crystal clear waters and endless white sand beaches, I am still wondering why the tourists didn't invade this place. The locals clearly see this place as their little heaven, since it is impeccable.  I would recommend bringing a good book, for after swimming in the ocean, you will want to bathe in the Indonesian sun.
5.Batukaru temple
Located in the center of the island, this temple is on the foot of a sacred volcano and the Balinese consider it the protector from evil spirits. This huge temple, though worshippers are still present, is regularly frequented by local tourists, especially during the Balinese holiday. Most temples aren't accessible to the visitors, because they are still a site of worship, but you can walk freely around the main attractions. If you are a nature lover, I highly recommend visiting this sacred place. You will leave feeling zen.
Even though all of these five places are splendid, Bali has much more to offer to any type of traveller. I hope you have the opportunity to visit this rich island on your future travels and if you do, take this chance to visit the sites I mentioned.

Enjoy,
The little traveller's boots
Xox


No comments:

Post a Comment